Funny job interview answers take pride of place in our once a month humorous article on employment issues, next week we return with a serious post on how to explain to interviewers why you have been fired / laid off in your previous job, until then have a blast reading through some of these answers and be sure not to include any in your interview.
01. I didn’t mean to hit the “reply to all” button when sending the email that cost me my job.
02. I don’t need 5 words to describe myself, 2 will do – lone wolf.
03. I like working at the weekends, you have less clowns telling you what to do.
04. When do I get to meet the important people in the decision-making process?
05. If you need someone to work beyond the stated hours on their contract then that’s not me.
06. Do you mind if I tape the interview? I have a trust issue with HR departments.
07. My priorities are to get paid as much as possible for doing as little as possible.
08. Just so you know in advance one of my best friends is an employment lawyer.
09. Weaknesses? Me? Are you nuts?
10. If you don’t hire me, you will end up regretting it.
11. I was fired for using offensive language with a client.
12. I’m just after the money to be honest.
13. Weakness ? very funny, I haven’t got any.
14. In 3 years time? probably in your chair asking the questions.
15. I have 2 other offers on the table so I expect a quick response otherwise you have lost me.
16. I have difficulty getting along with co-workers.
17. Do I get a company car?
18. I haven’t got the slightest idea.
19. I can’t give my former boss as a referee as we are not on speaking terms.
20. My boss is an idiot.
21. Can I use the company’s computer for personal use?
22. Are all the staff as cute as you?
23. As long as the job gets done, I don’t think it matters if a few rules are broken along the way.
24. I’m thirsty, could you get me a coffee please?
25. I’m a busy guy, can we wrap this up?
26. Patience is not a virtue of mine, if a customer has a problem with how I work then they’ll just have to deal with it.
27. I wasn’t aware that she was my manager’s wife.
28. If I get an offer from you, I can’t promise anything as I have a few interviews lined up.
29. Do you mind if I take my shoes off?
30. I was caught stealing in my last job but it was just a big misunderstanding honest!
31. My mom said that I’d be good for the job.
32. There is no address on my resume because I am living in my car.
33. What is the process if I don’t get along with colleagues here?
34. I thought I had the autonomy to offer a discount unfortunately my boss disagreed.
35. I rarely have to interview, I am usually hired on the spot.
36. Is it okay if I decide to abstain from taking the medical for the job?
37. Don’t worry about the clients, I’m a great bluffer.
38. I want the job as I don’t want to work with jerks all my life.
39. One of the references on my resume is a guy that I have fallen out with, so don’t be surprised if his feedback is not positive.
40. I didn’t lie to my boss I was just economical with the truth.
41. If my drug test is positive, can I come back in a week’s time to take it again?
42. I don’t know why businesses are so concerned about making a profit as long as you do your best that’s all that matters.
43. As long as I’m left alone to do my job we’ll all get along just fine.
44. The guys in my last job just didn’t get me, I’m just a little misunderstood.
45. To what extent are criminal background checks searched?
46. I don’t mind moving to a new city for this job as long as the city has some nice restaurants and a couple of good strip bars.
47. I try not to set my personal targets too high, if you set your targets low you will rarely be disappointed.
48. Amongst my strengths are determination, passion and an ability to down a pitcher of beer in record time.
49. How hard I work is dependant on the size of the budget that I am given to work with.
50. I would like final say on who joins my team, after all who wants to work with clowns?
51. My dog ate my resume.
52. Sorry I am late but it is so rare to be actually met on time, that I went around the corner for a coffee.
53. My hobbies include music and movies though not the type of movies that can be found in your local movie theater.
54. The last time I faced such interrogation was with my parole officer.
55. Just to let you know, if I don’t feel comfortable answering any of your questions I will politely ask you to move on to the next one.
56. I met a couple of other candidates in the waiting room, I can save you the interview time as I am far superior to them.
57. You are lucky to have a candidate of my stature available in fact, it should be me interviewing you not the other way round.
58. Be nice to me, bear in mind when I get the job, I will be your superior.
59. No, I’m saving that information for the 2nd interview.
60. I just put that on my resume so I would get a chance to be called for interview.
61. Honesty is overrated, if telling a few lies closes the deal then that is the way to go.
62. Is it possible to get the job without providing a reference?
63. I dated a girl in my last job, but then her husband found out.
64. I have a short attention span, if I don’t like a job then I move on to something I do like.
65. I got to bring the company laptop every night so I figured I could search the web for my personal interests, no big deal.
66. The only reason I punched him as because I thought he embarrassed me in front of a client.
67. My experience? You have had 2 weeks to review my resume yet you still want to know about my experience, that is so typical of HR Depts.
68. I couldn’t disagree with you more, are you qualified to ask such questions?
69. What a ridiculous question to ask.
70. Do you mind if I smoke?
71. I’d like an immediate decision, I don’t do second-round interviews.
72. Can I use family members as referees?
73. My main motivation is money, anyone who says otherwise is a damned liar.
74. When do I start?
75. My ideal job is one where I will be stimulated, excited and happy in my role, until then this job will do.
76. While work is important it falls after family, friends and hobbies in terms of life’s priorities.
77. If I got the job one of the first things I would do is overhaul the HR Dept.
78. If my contract states my working hours are between 9am and 5pm then they are the hours I work, no more and no less.
79. In business I am used to getting my own way, and if I accept this job then I expect that to remain unchanged.
80. Am I in the right room?
81. I’d appreciate it if you actually listened to me rather than just take notes.
82. The reason I want this job is, despite the job being mundane and the company boring, it is near my home.
83. I didn’t know I put that on my resume.
84. I don’t need to take the earphones off the volume on my ipod is low so I can hear both the song and you.
85. Outside of work my personal interests are exactly that, personal and I don’t plan on sharing them with strangers.
86. Can I use my last 2 parole officers as references?
87. Sorry for being late, the last interview lasted longer than I expected.
88. I don’t have a favorite opera, I just included it in the interests section of my resume because I thought it might make me look sophisticated.
89. I’d rather be cocky and blunt than be nice but sit on the fence.
90. Can you open the window please, this room is very stuffy.
91. Weighing up this job against others I would say it is fifth in my list of preferences.
92. Hmmm, can I get back to you on that?
93. I didn’t think you were allowed to ask that question in a job interview.
94. Yes, it wouldn’t be on my resume otherwise.
95. How would my boss describe me? I don’t know, we haven’t been on speaking terms for months.
96. Sorry about the spelling mistakes on my resume, that is the last time I will get my wife to type it.
97. I’m going, if you haven’t made your mind up by now then you are insulting my intelligence, goodbye.
98. I have moved around so much because getting a job is something that I find easy, but keeping the job is a different matter altogether.
99. Salary is very important, my gambling debts are rising.
100. Of course the job interests me, I wouldn’t be here otherwise now would I?
101. The job impresses me, the company impresses me, you however do not.
I’m sure each of you have your own favorites from this list, I however sorted them randomly. Hopefully one or two of these made you smile and also made you aware that a job interview is not an ideal scenario to try be a comedian. A professional approach will serve you a lot better, though that is not to say that you cannot reply with a lighthearted comment, if the interviewer initiates the humor.